Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Kinky Hair-Tips for applying and removing marley twists

Hey lovely readers. I have officially removed my twists and thought I'd share some tips on how I applied them, took care of them and removed them.
As mentioned in a previous post I washed my marley hair before applying it to prevent irritation. And now that I've already removed my twists I can say I definitely noticed a difference in my scalp compared to past applications of synthetic hair.

  • First I made sure to cleanse my scalp properly. Although I washed my hair a week prior, it definitely makes a difference to not apply weave to dirty hair. 
  • I sectioned my hair in 4 sections (2 front + 2 back). And I started twisting in the back versus the front. It just seemed better to me to do this. In the front I made sure to part my hair down the middle and both sides because I wanted to wear my hair like that. It's best to part your hair which ever way you like to wear it normally.
  •  After parting my hair, I took a small section to begin my twists. The size of the section depends on how big you want your twists, as well as how many strands you want to use. I used only 2 strands because for this being my first time it made it easier to twist in the invisible method.
  • What is the invisible method? Well I didn't know what it was until I Googled it and saw so many videos on this technique. It basically is the best method to ensure a more natural look instead of the braid then twist method. Which is what I did to complete my Senegalese Twists.
  • I like this method because it appears as if you just twisted your own natural hair instead of using weave.
  • I recommend viewing some videos on how to do the invisible method: Jouelzy, Donedo, and Breanna Rutter are the channels I used. 
  • The two products I used to twist was a gel and a moisturizer. What type isn't important in my opinion. But these two products are needed to keep you hair smooth as you twist (gel) and the moisturizer keeps your ends moisturize for the duration of your twists. And because I didn't wash my hair I applied both every few days to keep my hair and scalp moisturized.
  • After a few tries, I finally was able to complete one twist. This was no easy task for me because you have to twist one strand counter clockwise, and the other strand in the opposite direction. This was so tiring but it's well worth it in the end for the more natural look.
  • It took me about 12 hours to complete. I wasn't in a rush and this time was broken up into an entire weekend. Most people are a pro or they have help, which is why they can complete this in as little as 5-8 hours. 
  • Once completed I chose to curl the ends using perm rods and hot water. This is absolutely optional. But it made my ends look more cleaned up.
  • For the 3 weeks I kept this style I had to redo my front twists over about two times because they looked too messy for me. 
  • I chose not to wash my twists because I knew I wasn't keeping them in for more than 3-4 weeks. 
  • Every other day I massaged oils into my scalp to prevent drying.
  • After removing I washed my hair as normal but I added a DIY protein deep conditioning treatment to revive my curls.
Will I do this style again? Yes. It is a great protective style. And I didn't notice any damage that most naturals say they've had from doing this style. As far as hairstyles I didn't do many just buns or I wore it out.

I really hope this helped those looking for a new protective style.



 Thank you for reading.
Pynkstarr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Checker
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge