Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Reed Between the Lines and Natural Hair

Okay I have not been able to watch this show yet. But I was extremely happy to read and watch a clip on Natural hair.


Here is the scenario: Tracee's daughter is caught trying to apply a perm to her natural hair because some boy tells her he likes her with straight hair better. Dr Reed (Tracee) explains to her that perming your hair for the first time can change its texture forever. Which is partly true. My first perm was when I was about 5 or 6. Maybe 4 years old. My hair was extremely kinky. At the time my mommy and I had been attending a lovely hair dresser who actually yelled at my mom like why would you do that to that child's hair. My mom was tired of hot combing it and so was I.

My first perm I believe was Just for Me. They would show these pretty girls on the box and commercials during Soul Train. I was just soooo excited. I became an addict until 2008 when I decided to never perm again just str8en. That wouldv'e worked had I looked up the fact that hot combing your own hair can be detrimental in the long run. But my hair stated growing. It was in early 2009 when I began braiding and weave'n/wig'n when my hair started to come out. Not because I was wearing a wig or weaving it but because I was not taking care of my hair underneath at all. By the end of 09 I went to the beauty salon to get a perm.

Of course I was yelled at for not taking care of my hair properly. Then after I could no longer afford the bi weekly appts I decided to go natural. I did my research and almost two years later I am perfectly happy. Now will I perm again, I will not say never ever. But I pray to God everyday for patience in all aspects of my life. I would like to not ever perm my hair again. As for the ending to Reed between the Lines, you will have to tune in to BET yourself to find out :)

With Love
Pynkstarr


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Checker
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge