Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

KinkyHair: I got my curls back after flatironing!!!

I was so happy when I washed my hair yesterday. My hair was in its straightened state for 3 weeks. Not sure how long is too long, but for me this was too long. I wanted to get my time, that I took to do this style, back. Which is why I really left it straight for so long.


Week 1-2 I used mostly oils(EVOO, Grapeseed) so that I wouldn't get shrinkage or reversion. Then I read that with so much silicone on my hair from straightening, that I could use water based products to a "minimum". Wrong. I used my Shea Moisture curl milk and I noticed definite frizz. Also I wasn't able to do anything to my hair, style wise. If I left it out for too long, it frizzed up and grew bigger as the day went on. So most of the day I just wore a bun. 

It was like a daily struggle that made me miss my curls. I tried rollers, setting my hair with setting lotion, pin curls, flexirods, braidouts, twistouts. You name it I tried and failed at it. My hair just wouldn't stay put for anything.

By week 3 I just wore a bun and finger detangled with Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie. It was the best week because wash day was coming up.
Wash day I knew I had to treat my hair with care. I did a prepoo, sulfate free shampoo, protein pack, then styled using the L.O.C. method.

Prepoo: Tresemme conditioner Moisture Rich
Sulfate free shampoo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention sulfate free shampoo
Protein pack by Palmer's
Liquid: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie
Oil: EVOO
Curls goddess curls for curl definition.
I was so happy to get my curls back. I may never straighten my hair again, or at least anytime soon. I'm so thankful my hair reverted back. Most people fear heat damage when using heat to stretch their hair. I did too. But I was prepared to shave it bald and take this as a lesson learned lol.
I hope this helps. If you want to straighten your kinky hair, do the research. Don't just jump into it. Also do it because you want to not because someone suggested you do it.

Thank you so much for reading :-)
Pynkstarr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Checker
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge