Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blogtober 22-How I use protein treatment on Natural Hair plus review of Palmer's coconut deep conditioning protein treatment

Let me start off by saying I have absolutely no professional knowledge of hair. Whether that be natural hair or relaxed hair, professional I am completely ignorant to what works and what doesn't. Now when it comes to personal knowledge from years of taking care of my own hair then I can offer my input on how certain things worked for me and what just absolutely does not. As far as the physiological aspects of my hair I am learning as I go just as many of you are. I would love to be able to spew out information about  (cortex)
or

(amino acids).
Of course like many of you, like myself, learned the words used today on blogs and youtube in high school biology class. But to be honest unless your plan was to become a biologist did you really study to pass biology or really really study. I studied to pass, which I did (whoop-whoop). Fast-Forwarding to today and I can't remember most of that stuff, nor did I think I had to until the last few years. I have been putting it off ever since I went Natural to learn about hair, not just how to do it but just hair in general. I have been very intrigued by it the last few months on actually retaining length instead of my hair just looking good. I have come to the realization that this is my hair on my head for the rest of my life. And I really need to change the way I do to it if I want it to grow. Now I wouldn't say I am obsessed with it growing down to my butt, but I will say I'd like my hair to be healthy. So I have been reading a LOT about hair especially my type of hair so that I can know what I can do to retain length and keep it from breaking.


I had read in on a lot blogs and hair websites that proteins, or adding proteins to my hair every once in a while would benefit me because it could possibly keep my hair from breaking. One of the reasons my hair does break off is probably from detangling too much or way too much manipulation. Yes, I am guilty of both. But like most of you ladies I am learning as I go. Back to proteins. The other day I decided to try the tension method, which means to not use the comb attachment on my hair when blow drying. I loved this method, and plan on trying it again. However, I don't like when my hair is straightened, meaning blowdrying or roller setting, basically any form of heat to straighten my hair. I never blow dry my hair except maybe 2-3 times a year. And the last time I used a flat iron my hair smelled like it was burning off so I stopped before I had severe damage to my hair. Anyhoo, when I straightened my hair 2 weeks ago it came out pretty nice and I didn't have any damage. But after about a week in a half I noticed my hair was really dry. I mean my hair is really always dry, which is why I try to stay moisturized daily, my hair was more drier than usual. I was trying to rock my hair straight for at least two weeks but that wasn't happening. My hair just wasn't having it because it kept getting dry. I put oily in it just about everyday because it was so dry. After a few days I decided to do some research on dry hair and most of the search said that my hair basically lacked protein. The crazy thing is when I chose to blow dry my hair most recipes called for a protein conditioner, but of course I ignored that and proceeded with my new blow-drying routine. This past weekend I decided to use that protein pack I purchased from the beauty supply store to bring back my happy hair.

I've never used the stuff that they put in those little packages that they keep by the register because they are what we call in the retail industry "up-sale" products. Meaning try and get customers to get the products on the counter, esp. if they aren't at the per-customer-spending rate. So after this whole drying issue I decided to do more research on how to actually use this little package. I was actually kind of excited to try something new on my hair, something I have never tried before. The product I chose was:
Palmer's Coconut oil Formula w/Vitamin E deep conditioning Protein Pack $1.99 at my local beauty supply store.*

Now there are an array of brands of protein for all different types of hair types. I chose this because it was cheaper, which is not always the better option but it works better than expensive products sometimes. Another popular protein treatment would be Aphogee 2 step protein treatment. I didn't get this product because it has two steps, plus most sites said for severe damage such as heat, split ends, and coloring. I have neither so it would have been maybe a little to strong for my hair. Plus you need a hooded dryer, which I don't own yet, in order for it to harden. I mean it sounded like I was putting a relaxer in my hair, way too many steps. This package I just had to put it in, and follow the directions on the package. Of course I had to add my own little spin on things. Here is what I did:

1. Since I felt like my hair was already dry, I used a sulfate free shampoo called Carol's Daughter Monoi Oil sulfate free shampoo. I only had a sample so I made it stretch for one wash. I knew I wasn't going to be able to finger detangle my hair while the protein treatment was in it so I did it while the shampoo was in and put into twists (8-10)

2. After I rinsed out the shampoo I put the protein pack in my hair, on the 8-10 sections. I then unraveled my hair completely and left the pack on for about 30 mins. (the packaging said 10-20mins) \
3. I was advised to not touch my hair in order for the protein treatment to work properly. So read a good book or catch up on some TV shows for a while. I know 10mins - 20mins isn't long for some people but for me it can make me anxious. The treatment felt kind of warm on my head esp towards the nape of my neck. Not sure if this is supposed to happen but it did to me. And the smell isn't that bad either. I really can't describe it.

4. After rinsing the treatment out completely my hair felt pretty soft and not crunchy like I thought. I then followed up with my Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and coconut oil. I left that in for a few hours, I was watching Stephen King's IT, my fave movie ever, this movie is about 4 hrs. Then I rinsed my hair thoroughly because I wasn't going to condition my hair after like I usually do on wash days.

5.I T-Shirt plopped my hair for about 20 mins. This is so helpful with breakage and frizz.
I really liked the treatment because it made the dryness issue disappear. I don't know if its permanent but for now my hair feels soft still (4days later). The treatment I hear lasts about 6-8weeks, and depending on my hair from now until then I'll be adding the protein treatments to my regimens. Some people add it to their conditioners but I think for my hair that may be to much protein. I definitely recommend protein treatments, esp for dry, damaged, or breakage on hair.
Hope you found this helpful.
Pynkstarr

*Ingredients: Water (aqua), Steraryl Alcohol, Peg-40 Stearate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Cocos Nucifera (coconut oil), Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Behenyl Alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Hydroxyethyl Cetearamidopropyldimonium Chloride, Frangrance (parfum), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Nonfat Dry Milk (Sine Adipe Lac), Citric Acid, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Steralkonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcelluose, Quaternium-26, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Benzyl Benzonate, Coumarin.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Checker
Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge